3.04.2011

my story.

as you all know, my project for this entire semester is to design a bank, which i have located in georgetown. it is really fun, but right now i am in the schematic design phase, where i am doing space analysis and pulling together a floor plan in order to accomplish my goals for my bank. i can't get motivated. so i started to think back on why i got into interior design, and what really pushed me to want to design.


as far  back as i can remember, i always had graph paper notebooks. these graph paper notebooks were FILLED with floor plans of houses i would create. i also had books upon books with pre-made floor plans that i would look at for hours at a time. i would get hazy-eyed and envision myself living in those spaces. it was fun for me. there is even a photograph of myself when i was a baby (maybe 2 or 3 years old) leaned over my dad's drafting table and looking at the floor plan he was creating (which is currently our house in new hampshire!). once i got older, my floor plans moved to the computer with purchased programs such as "the sims" and even more "professional" ones like home building suites.


so it was decided i was going to be an architect. i researched colleges that had good architecture programs, and even went to summer school at cornell for an architecture program. finally, i was admitted to auburn university's college of architecture, design and construction and was so excited. i began my freshmen year, but quickly realized architecture wasn't for me. i never would envision myself outside of the space, or think about how the space would relate to the environment in which it lived, i always envisioned myself living in the space.


after a lot of thinking, talking, crying and consideration, i decided to apply to the interior design program within auburn university. it was a hard program to get into, and i felt that i had no chance. with a lot of encouragement from my parents, friends and especially my big sister in the sorority, baba, i created a portfolio, wrote my admissions essay, submitted my resume and prayed. on april 15th, my birthday ~ my family got great news. i was accepted into the interior design program, and my brother even got into his first choice for college. needless to say, my parents were relieved, and probably celebrated hard for the both of us that night. 


i began the program the fall of my junior year. studio's were hard to get adjusted to, but i quickly fell in step and really began to realize that this is what i wanted to do. while studio's are draining (emotionally, mentally & physically), i have the best class, and owe my success in the program to their kind words and amazing support. in my biased opinion, i believe we're the closest group of girls (and boy) to go through the program. can you tell i love my friends in studio?!


so long story short - i am in my 3rd year of the interior design program at auburn university and am really enjoying it. while i may complain a LOT to my family and friends, i know it is worth it because i really envision myself being a designer once i graduate, and that is the best feeling in the world.


last but not least, thank you mom and dad for allowing me to stay 2 extra years in college so i can pursue my passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment