5.14.2011

my life as a working girl.


thank god my first day is done with because those are always nerve-racking. however i love my internship and it is has only been the first week. i love how everyone in the office gets along and loves to talk/joke around. i like how the owner of the company, the managers and principles all sit at the same type of workstation as everyone else. i love how the office is an open plan layout. i love how the printing manager man has been organizing and filling up all the snack bowls in the kitchen (the receptionist is out sick and she is the one who normally does it…) I love how yesterday was tom-palooza and we went going to lunch to celebrate his birthday and a girl who works in my pod’s birthday, as well as one of the project managers first days. I love how relaxed the office is and how I already have responsibilities and it was just my first week. I love how we had a “family lunch” in the back of the office because one of the girls ordered delivery from “Italian garden” but they literally had everything from sandwiches to burgers to kabobs to pasta to salad and more.

I love how much I have already learned. I know more now than I have in a semester. The thought process and coordination that goes into selecting a 9 x 9 area rug is amazing. One of my tasks for today included calling sales reps for carpet companies and asking them pricing questions including technical questions with how the carpet is built, etc. Just talking about it with a few of the people in my pod took one hour. For a 9 x 9 area rug. ONE hour. Honestly, the time that we were talking about it never even was made apparent to me because I was so interested and was trying to give my input with everything. Once I got back to my work station I realized the time and was shocked.

One thing I did which was a little silly was when I was calling sales reps about the carpet. I am still new guys, ok… so don’t judge me too hard. The phone system kills me. I know revit, I know cad, I know access but I can’t figure out these phones! I don’t even know my direct line. I called one sales rep and got her voicemail, so I had to leave her a message with my direct line and what did I do? I got my last four digits wrong. Instead of “2420” I told her “2402” which is the girl who sits in my pod’s number. Needless to say, that sales rep never got back to me…..

All in all I’m in interior design heaven. I love getting to work and when 5pm rolls around I can’t believe it is already time to  leave. These past few days have been such a blessing to realize that while 6 years in school is a little excessive and tiresome, it is exactly where I am supposed to be because when I finally get that diploma (and my parents faint from excitement) I will be right where I want to be – in the design world.

No comments:

Post a Comment